The Valley Chronicle - HPD shoots, wounds Oceanside homicide suspect

HPD shoots, wounds Oceanside homicide suspect

 · 2 min read


■ Mary Ann Morris / Editor One shot was fired and one suspect injured when the Hemet Police Department attempted to arrest two Oceanside homicide suspects on Friday. The HPD was requested to assist the Oceanside Police Department with an active homicide investigation, according to Lt. Eddie Pust. At approximately 3:16 p.m., HPD officers observed a suspect related to that homicide investigation near the 900 block of West Florida Avenue, at the intersection of Palm Avenue. While officers were attempting to take the suspect into custody, an officer-involved shooting occurred and one of the suspects was reportedly shot in the arm. The suspects, Hector Galvez, 30, of Hemet, and Jamie Radloff, 27, of Murrieta, were wanted in connection with the homicide of 45-year old Joel Bishop, who was found shot early Friday morning in the 1700 block of South Meyers Street in Oceanside. Galvez was shot in the arm while officers were attempting to take him into custody. No police officers or bystanders were injured during the incident, according to Pust. The suspect was treated and released from a nearby hospital and transferred to the custody of Oceanside Police. The streets surrounding the crime scene were closed off for hours as the investigation progressed. Traffic was rerouted during that time. After Galvez was released from the hospital he was booked into San Diego’s Vista Detention Facility on suspicion of first-degree murder and being a felon in possession of a firearm. Radloff was also booked on suspicion of first degree murder. Neither suspect is currently eligible for bail, police said. Arraignment was to have taken place Feb. 28 in Superior Court in Vista. Several residents of the 1700 block of South Myers Street made 911 calls around 4:45 a.m. Friday to report hearing gunfire and screams. An arriving officer found Bishop, who was taken to Scripps Memorial Hospital La Jolla. Bishop was pronounced dead less than an hour later, police said. The HPD officer who fired the shot has not been identified, and attempts to reach the police department for comment were unsuccessful at press time. [caption id="attachment_1973" align="aligncenter" width="576"] Photos by Gary Rainwater / Contributed
First responders tend to the injured suspect prior to loading him in the ambulance.[/caption]